from Chef Andrew Ormsby
4 pieces Australia lamb top sirloin trimmed lean or boneless leg of Australian lamb
6 thin 7” pita bread, Greek style
1/2 red onion, sliced thin
8 leaves of romaine lettuce, folded and sliced thin
3 Roma tomatoes
1/2 pint of traditional Greek yogurt
1/2 cucumber peeled, de-seeded and chopped fine
4 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
2 whole lemons
Salt and pepper
Lemon Yogurt Sauce:
- Mix the yogurt with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped cucumber, 2 teaspoons of oregano and the juice of one lemon.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Dice the lamb into3/4 inch pieces.
- Squeeze the remaining lemon, garlic, olive oil, cumin, thyme, oregano and coriander onto the lamb.
- Season with Kosher salt and pepper.
- Place the lamb onto metal skewers.
- Cook the lamb on a medium grill.
- Brush the pita bread with a little olive oil on both sides.
- Grill both sides of the pita bread as well to warm and soften them.
- Once done, liberally spread yogurt, then lettuce, onion, tomatoes and lamb skewer on top.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap the Souvlaki tightly.
- Pull the skewer from the meat and serve.
If you’re in Dallas, you can check out Tucker Restaurant/Catering, 3113 Ross Avenue, Dallas, TX 75204 or phone (214) 389-1313 for reservations.
If you try Tucker’s, please let me know how you like it.
Maralyn D. Hill
“Our Love Affairs with Food & Travel”
“Cooking Secrets, The Why and How…
GLOG: Global Log Be sure to sign up for our e-mail update of posts.