As children, we would bake cookies with my mother. Usually 12-15 varieties and package them up as holiday gifts. They are still some of the best cookie recipes around. My sister Carol and I both did this with our children also to pass along the tradition.
This recipe was never my personal favorite, but the favorite of over 75% of those who tasted our cookies.
Maralyn and Carol’s Old Country Cookies
1 Pound butter
1-3/4 cup sugar
4 cups flour
• Clarify butter – Melt it being careful it does not brown or boil. Let harden in refrigerator (I usually do this the night before).
• Scrape off white stuff on top. Run knife around edge of pan and pour out milk.
• Turn into a mixing bowl and scrape off all white stuff on bottom.
• Add sugar and cream the butter and sugar together.
• Add flour and mix.
• When mixed, form into rolls. (Roll the rolls in colored sugar for variety).
• Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
• Slice between 1/4 and 1/2″thick.
• Place on cookie sheets close together.
• Bake 25 minutes in a 325 oven.
• Cool on cookie racks.
Note: These cookies will be white when baked. Do not wait for them to brown or they will be over-baked.
Be sure to sign up for a copy of our new posts as soon as they happen. We do not sell your names and you can remove yourself from list whenever you want.