Usually, you’d not expect me to review a whisky glass…I don’t know that much about whisky.
However, when I came across this glass I was intrigued by its shape and wanted to learn more about it. As far as I knew, whisky has been served in just about anything from a shot glass, jelly jar to a Waterford Crystal snifter.
When you think about it, that’s unusual as wine has it’s assortment of glasses, and Champagne and brandy certainly have their own…but whisky?
Now, the Glencairn Glass has arrived following the tradition of Scottish innovation. They used the knowledge from some leading whisky innovators worldwide and the original nosing glasses used by master blenders to arrive at this custom shaped glass.
Deidre Woollard of Luxist says, “BBC News reports that the Glencairn Glass won a Queen’s Award for Enterprise and now seen as the definitive whisky glass and is in use by all Scottish and Irish distilleries.”
They say the tapering mouth allows an ease of drinking and captures the aromas at the same time on the nose. Its wide bowl allows for an appreciation of the color and the heavy base is designed to be easy to hold. Stolzle has the Glencairn Glass.
Glencairn provides five steps to appreciating Whisky:
- Color – Is your whisky light gold, bright copper or rich amber in color?
- Body – Does your whisky have a light, medium or full body?
- Nose – Which aromas do you recognize when you nose your whisky – is it malty, smoky, fruity, chocolately?
- Palate – What characteristics do you notice on the palate – is it softly sweet, rich and fruity, or peppery and spicy?
- Finish – Does the flavour remain for a long time or does it disappear quickly?
I’m going to have to observe people drinking whisky to see if they make the above observations. I do with wine. It will be an interesting assignment.
In any case, back to the glass. I think it’s great and I want to order six for guests who enjoy a good whisky and the glass.
Maralyn D. Hill, President
Success, Your Path to a Successful Book, Our Love Affairs with Food & Travel,Cooking Secrets the Why and How…,Winner and Final Chairman