.This recipe comes from Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa. Yes, I’ve also been there over a decade ago. When you travel and keep the schedule I do, taste the food and wine, it is important to remember healthy alternatives. These are great for all with apples in high supply.
Spiced Apple Crisp
- 5 red Delicious or Fuji apples, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (such as McCormick brand — a simple blend of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice)
- Juice of ½ lemon (1 Tbs.)
- ¼ cup crushed shredded wheat
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
1. Combine apples, water, cornstarch, spice, and lemon juice in a medium mixing bowl.
2. Mix well and place into a microwaveable container.
3. Microwave on high for 10 minutes, or until apples are soft and juice is thick and clear.
4. Divide among 4 dessert bowls.
5. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon crushed shredded wheat and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Each serving contains approximately:
0.5 g protein
29 g carbohydrate
0.5 g total fat
0 mg cholesterol
less than 1 mg sodium
5 g dietary fiber
5% calories from fat
Click to learn more about Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa.