(BPT) – Did your grandmother age gracefully? She might have thought growing older with poise meant accepting age-related changes in her skin and overall health, or that costly cosmetic surgery was the only way to look her best as she grew older. Today, better health knowledge and leading-edge products have revolutionized the concept of what it means to age gracefully.
Growing older is inevitable, but looking and feeling old don’t have to be. Here are five important actions women of any age can take to ensure they stay healthy and looking good throughout their lives.
* Get and stay active. Health authorities, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, recommend healthy adults get at least two hours and 30 minutes of moderate aerobic activity (such as brisk walking) every week, and engage in muscle-strengthening activities at least two days a week. The benefits of exercise are many, including helping with weight control, lowering the risk of heart disease, improving cardio-vascular health and even supporting brain health. It’s never too late to become active, so talk to your doctor about an exercise routine that works for you.
* Take care of your skin. It’s the body’s largest organ and the one that protects all the others. Skin also directly affects how we look and how we feel about our appearance. Fortunately, the latest skincare technology makes it possible to care for your skin while visibly reducing the signs of aging. For example, glo therapeutics Cyto-luxe Hydration+ uses plant stem cells to help deep hydration while instantly smoothing and refining the skin’s surface. Triple Action Serum combines Hydroquinone, Retinol and Glycolic Acid to improve skin texture and tone while lightening hyperpigmented areas. Some products, such as glo therapeutics Line Smoother, work in as little as 30 minutes to smooth and tone fine lines and wrinkles.
* Protect against sun damage. Sun exposure is the leading cause of premature aging of the skin and can even lead to skin cancer. Always wear sunscreen to protect all exposed skin – even hands and feet. Choose a broad spectrum product with an SPF of 30 or more. Many sunscreens can do double duty to enhance your appearance while protecting your skin. Moisturizing Tint SPF 30+ from glo therapeutics is perfect for lightweight broad-spectrum sun protection while offering a sheer hint of color.
* Make good nutrition a lifestyle. Proper nutrition throughout life impacts overall health, including weight and the health of your muscles, digestive system, bones and brain. It also affects the appearance, clarity and elasticity of skin. Be sure to follow a balanced diet. The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Pyramid is a good guideline for nutrition. For help understanding nutrition, talk to your doctor or a certified nutritional counselor.
* Take care of your bones. Osteoporosis – the gradual loss of bone mass over time – is a concern for women as they age. Bone health is essential for overall health, and directly affects a woman’s ability to maintain mobility and posture later in life. The National Osteoporosis Foundation says you can support your bone health in many ways, including ensuring you get plenty of calcium and vitamin D – either in your diet through lean dairy products or through supplements – engaging in bone-building exercises, choosing foods that are good for bone health like fruits and vegetables, avoiding smoking and limiting alcohol consumption to just two or three drinks a day.
Growing older doesn’t mean you have to feel and look “old.” Empowered with knowledge and the right products, it’s possible to age gracefully, stay healthy and look your best.
Member: International Food Wine & Travel Writers Association (IFWTWA)
Member: Society of American Travel Writers (SATW)
Member: Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ)
Luxury & Culinary Journalist, Speaker, Food Judge
Follow me: @maralynhill
If you would like to submit a guest post on food, wine or travel to Where and What in the World, I would be happy to feature your travel experience , drink, special wine tasting, or family or simply delicious recipe. If you go to submission tab, you will see how to submit, as well as have the opportunity of telling me if you would like to would like to be a regular contributor. When uploading a file for submission, you are also able to upload jpgs. Please feel free to put a last paragraph about you and a link to your profile. No html please. You can also include a head shot.