The holidays are fast approaching, which means you’ll be throwing and/or attending a lot of parties and family gatherings in the coming weeks! This might sound great, however if you aren’t familiar with what wines to serve as a host or bring as a gift, it can be overwhelming. This is where Advanced Sommelier and Wine Director at EPIC Steak, Petra Polakovicova, comes to your rescue with expert tips and recommendations to guarantee your wine selections are a hit at any holiday soiree:
- One can never go wrong with bubbles! Everyone drinks Champagne to celebrate, and holidays are no exception. If you want to save yourself some money, look for Crémant from France. It is a sparkling wine produced exactly like Champagne, just from different regions.
- Thanksgiving is about the same time as the release of France’s Beaujolais Nouveau. It’s a fun, fruity wine that arrives just in time for Thanksgiving gatherings. You can also get regular (not Nuveau) Beaujolais (ask for Cru Beaujolais) which pairs well with holiday dishes.
- If you don’t know what to bring to a party (and don’t want to bring bubbles), bring Pinot Noir. It’s one of those varieties that pairs well with a variety of food.
- Carignan based wines are great. Little spice, cranberry flavors, and not too heavy. Perfect for the holiday dishes.
- If you know prime rib is being served, look for Sangiovese or Cabernet Sauvignon. Your friends will be happy.
- For dessert, I love Tawny Port. Just imagine sitting by the fireplace with your pecan pie and a glass of delicious Port. That’s like icing on the cake after fantastic dinner.
- Last, when you are in the store or a restaurant, don’t be afraid to ask for help. Sommeliers and wine professionals are there to assist you in finding the perfect gem that will take the holiday stress away.
We hope you keep Petra and her expert tips in mind for any holiday coverage opportunities you may have in the works. Below, please find further information about Petra and EPIC Steak, including images. Petra is available for any follow up interviews and/or questions you may have. Thanks for considering and happy holidays! www.epicsteak.com
Wine Director, EPIC Steak
Petra Polakovicova brings nearly 17 years of experience to her position as wine director at EPIC Steak, the acclaimed waterfront restaurant featuring modern interpretations of traditional steakhouse favorites. At EPIC, Polakovicova oversees and maintains an extensive collection of both domestic and international wines, with an emphasis on bold, flavorful reds, such as the acclaimed EPIC Cabernet, to accompany the sophisticated, yet hearty, internationally-inspired meat dishes from Executive Chef Parke Ulrich.
Polakovicova began her tenure at the restaurant when it opened as EPIC Roasthouse in 2007 as sommelier and was an integral part of the opening team. Prior to taking this role, Polakovicova held numerous hospitality positions at Bay Area hotels including The Ritz-Carlton San Francisco, W San Francisco, and The Palace Hotel, where she began her career.
Polakovicova has passed the Court of Master Sommeliers’ Advanced Sommelier Exam. She is now one of only 325 Advanced Sommeliers in the United States. Polakovicova earned her Sommelier Certification from the Professional Culinary Institute and also holds certifications including Wine & Spirits Education Trust Intermediate Certificate and French Wine Scholar.
About EPIC Steak
EPIC Steak is a contemporary waterfront roasthouse, featuring interpretations of traditional steakhouse favorites and more. The menu features an inventive combination of traditional and contemporary dishes, showcasing everything from fish to fowl, and specializing in a variety of meats and steaks. Handmade cocktails, domestic and imported beers, and a well-selected wine list complement the menu. The restaurant features an intimate upstairs bar and lounge with panoramic views of the city, ferry building and bay featuring the full restaurant menu as well as its own separate bar menu. For more information, please visit www.epicsteak.com
We would like to thank Carly (LoJacono) Sperling for sharing Petra’s tips with us. Carly represents Glodow Nead Communications at email@example.com,
Member: International Food Wine & Travel Writers Association (IFWTWA)
Member: Society of American Travel Writers (SATW)
Member: Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ)
Luxury & Culinary Journalist, Speaker, Food Judge
Follow me: @maralynhill
If you would like to submit a guest post on food, wine or travel to Where and What in the World, I would be happy to feature your travel experience , drink, special wine tasting, or family or simply delicious recipe. If you go to submission tab, you will see how to submit, as well as have the opportunity of telling me if you would like to would like to be a regular contributor. When uploading a file for submission, you are also able to upload jpgs. Please feel free to put a last paragraph about you and a link to your profile. No html please. You can also include a head shot.