By Edith Parker
Paleo food is particularly beneficial and while it’s not for everyone’s personal taste, it surely is healthy. The idea is to eat meals which are heavy on the proteins and rather low in carbs – this is one of the healthiest diets that you can follow and it’s particularly effective for all types of weight goals – regardless of whether you want to lose weight or to gain muscle.
However, preparing a paleo meal seems like a bit of a challenge to most. With this in mind, we’ve taken the liberty to tackle this common misbelief and to show you the opposite. Our paleo crock pot lasagna recipe is easy to follow, especially after you take a look at the step-by-step guide listed down below. Let’s go ahead and take a look at how you can cook this delicious meal in about an hour and a half.
The Things You Will Need for the Paleo Crock Pot Lasagna
Lasagna with spinach, ricotta and feta.
The ingredient’s list is fairly extensive but this is because it contains all the substances for a well-rounded and balanced meal. It contains a variety of foods specifically mixed to ensure the perfect blend of taste and nutritional value.
In order to get this done, you will need:
- 1lb of ground beef and 1lb of ground pork sausage
- 1 yellow onion – you have to get it chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic – minced and peeled
- 8 ounces of tomato sauce
- 5 ounces of diced tomatoes
- 6 ounces of tomato paste
- 2 ½ cups of spinach (frozen)
- 1 ½ cup of walnuts (raw)
- ½ teaspoon of nutmeg
- ¼ cup of water (warm)
- ¾ cup of milk (almonds)
- ½ cup of pumpkin seed (raw)
- Salt, pepper and olive oil to taste
As you can see, the list of ingredients is highly extensive and particularly versatile. However, each one of these products has its purpose and it adds to the overall nutritional value to the entire meal, which is something that you might want to take into account when it comes to it. Now, let’s have a look at how to actually prep this meal.
- Lay out all of the ingredients and make sure that you preheat the oven to broil or to 500 degrees.
- Set aside the frozen spinach and let it thaw out until you prep the rest of the meal.
- Wash the eggplant and make sure to set the mandolin slicer to the setting of julienne to cut the plant into very skinny slices.
- Spray each one of the resulting slices with olive oil and make sure to place it on a sheet for cookies. One large sheet should suffice for 2 slices of medium size. Cook it for about 8-10 minutes but make sure to turn it around about half-way through (4 minutes in) in order to ensure that you do not burn it.
- Heat a saute pan and place 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Cook the oil with onions and garlic for an approximation of 5 minutes.
- Add the pork and the ground beef to it for about 3-4 minutes and make sure that there is no pink color left in the meat.
- Add a tablespoon of oregano and make sure to stir properly
- Add diced tomatoes once you’ve made sure the meat is properly cooked
- Add tomato paste in order to make the sauce a lot thicker. Do not forget to reheat pan whenever it gets a bit colder.
- This is where the crock pot comes into the picture. While you can do all this using a regular pan, mixing it up and cooking it with a crock pot will save you the effort. After you have conveniently prepared all the aforementioned ingredients in the consistence that is needed, you can easily cook them with the slow cooker. The Crock Pot Lasagna is a bit more characteristic as it takes longer to cook it but the flavors are intensified but the crispness is not the same because of the moisture.
- Once you have cooked the eggplant and you are done cooking the meat, you can make the cheese sauce. Add the pumpkin seeds, almond milk, walnuts and the nutmeg in the warm water and blend it conveniently. This is a healthy cheese sauce.
- Now that you are done with all this, all that is left for you is to actually assemble the lasagna.
- The first thing to do is to reheat pan and spray it with olive oil. Place half of the cup of the meat at the bottom. After that, place ½ of the eggplant slices and cover with a thin layer of sauce of tomatoes. Spread the spinach evenly on top. Add another portion of your meat. Cook the entire thing in the reheat pan for another 45 minutes. This should be enough to get your paleo crock pot lasagna
Keep in mind that the paleo crock pot lasagna technique makes it harder to reheat lasagna. This means that it is best if you consume it while it’s still warm in order to prevent ruining the overall taste.
To conclude, this recipe shouldn’t be something too hard. Sure, it’s possible to fail the first time as there are a few places where you may trip, but the most important thing is to stay focused and follow the aforementioned tips properly and closely. This will ensure that you get the lasagna done perfectly.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this quick step by step tutorial. Please leave your questions in the comments below and be so kind to share the article if you’ve found it of value.
Author: Edith Parker, https://nomealnohealth.com/about/
Hi, My name is Edith Parker. I am a wife and mother of three with almost 8 years of cooking wholesome, healthy, and balanced meals for my family. I love to write articles about cooking and healthy food.
If you would like to submit a guest post on food, wine or travel to Where and What in the World, I would be happy to feature your travel experience , drink, special wine tasting, or family or simply delicious recipe. If you go to submission tab, you will see how to submit, as well as have the opportunity of telling me if you would like to would like to be a regular contributor. When uploading a file for submission, you are also able to upload jpegs. Please feel free to put a last paragraph about you and a link to your profile. No html please. You can also include a head shot.