By Jack Dawson
Today, many people are trying out camping. The Outdoor Industry Association says 49% of Americans participate in outdoor activities. It is an experience that gives you the freedom to explore at your own pace and without having to spend too much. Forget the monotony of group travel and let your adventurous spirit reign free because this is the only authentic way to explore new lands.
To get the best out of your trip, you have to make sure every item you need is in place. Among the most important things to consider is your sleeping arrangement. Good sleep matters whatever the environment; in fact CDC has listed poor sleep quality as a health problem. Now that you will be camping, your pillow choice will greatly affect the quality of sleep you get. The last thing you want is to wake up with a stiff neck. This makes the choice of your camping pillow very important.
What You Need to Know About Camping Pillows
Are camping pillows the best choice for backpackers? To answer this question, consider the following factors:
- Camping pillows are lightweight – These products are made with the outdoors in mind. The last thing you want is to have a bulky pillow bogging you down when hiking. The pillows are made purposely to be functional without negatively impacting on the backpacker’s experience.
- Low maintenance – If you love the outdoors, you appreciate that nature is your friend and this means getting dirty and sometimes dealing with unexpected weather. A good camping pillow is designed and made using a material that is easy to clean.
- Comfort – Sleeping under the stars is an awe-inspiring experience but if you are not careful, it might lead to a stiff neck. With a well-designed camping pillow, you get to enjoy the stars and sleep comfortably.
If you are planning to go camping any time soon, it is time to get insight on the best camping pillow to buy. Your bed pillow might be very comfortable but it will definitely not fit the unique outdoors requirements.
Choosing a Camping Pillow
There are so many factors to consider when choosing a campaign pillow for your backpacking trip. These include:
- Size – This is a major consideration because you will essentially be carrying your camping essentials in a one package. Anything that takes lots of space becomes an inconvenience. A good camping pillow should not be bulky considering that space is not readily available.
- Weight – Look for a pillow that is not heavy so that you have an easier time carrying it around. In choosing a camping pillow, less is more and this applies for both size and weight.
- Pillow construction – The best pillows are made of a strong weather-resistant material. This makes it easier to clean and hard to damage.
Types of Camping Pillows
There are different types of pillows to choose from including:
- Inflatable – Air-filled pillows are waterproof, lightweight and pack tightly in your backpack.
- Compressible/down-filled – Down is easily compressible for easy packing. However, these are more expensive and lack the necessary firmness.
- Foam-filled – These are very comfortable but they are bigger meaning they are not the best for backpackers.
There are many good camping pillows that rate highly for backpackers. These include products from brands such as ONWEGO, Teton Sports, Nemo Equipment, Exped Air Pillow and Your Pillow by SHO among many others. When buying one of these pillows, make sure you consider size, weight and materials used.
Author Bio: Jack Dawson
If you would like to submit a guest post on food, wine or travel to Where and What in the World, I would be happy to feature your travel experience , drink, special wine tasting, or family or simply delicious recipe. If you go to submission tab, you will see how to submit, as well as have the opportunity of telling me if you would like to would like to be a regular contributor. When uploading a file for submission, you are also able to upload jpegs. Please feel free to put a last paragraph about you and a link to your profile. No html please. You can also include a head shot.