By John S Kiernan
From barrels brimming with beer and boots made for drinking to Bavarian pretzels and pork knuckles, Oktoberfest has it all. That’s why this centuries-old celebration brings more than six million partiers to Munich for a couple weeks each October. Yet only about 2% of the crowd typically hails from the U.S. And it’s little wonder why, considering the trip would cost the average American roughly $5,000, according to WalletHub estimates.
But much like it’s always five o’clock somewhere, you don’t need to visit the original Oktoberfest to feel the vibe. Many cities host their own festivals – most notably, Cincinnati and San Francisco. Even more local watering holes throw themed parties. Or, maybe you just want to get festive at home. No matter what, we’ve got all the information you need to understand what you’re “prost”-ing to.
To determine the best cities for partaking in the epic German festival, WalletHub compared the 100 largest cities across 24 key metrics, ranging from share of German population to number of beer gardens per capita to average price for Oktoberfest celebration ticket.
Below are some highlights from each report.
|Top 20 Oktoberfest Cities|
|1||New York, NY||11||Pittsburgh, PA|
|2||Portland, OR||12||Sacramento, CA|
|3||Cincinnati, OH||13||Columbus, OH|
|4||San Francisco, CA||14||Boise, ID|
|5||Chicago, IL||15||St. Louis, MO|
|6||Philadelphia, PA||16||Madison, WI|
|7||Denver, CO||17||Milwaukee, WI|
|8||Miami, FL||18||Scottsdale, AZ|
|9||Seattle, WA||19||Lincoln, NE|
|10||Orlando, FL||20||Tampa, FL|
Oktoberfest Fun Facts:
- $5,000: Estimated cost for an American to attend Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany.
- 1.98 Million: Gallons of beer consumed during Oktoberfest.
- 700,000: Number of whole roast chickens eaten, plus 60,000 sausages and 59,000 pork knuckles.
- $1.53 Billion: Oktoberfest’s annual economic impact on Munich.
- $67,306: Median annual income for German-American households ($57,617 for all households).
For advice on maximizing Oktoberfest enjoyment while minimizing the risk, both physical and financial, we posed the following questions to a panel of experts. You can check out their bios and responses below.
- What tips do you have for celebrating Oktoberfest on a budget?
- How can local authorities promote safety and reduce alcohol-related accidents during Oktoberfest?