The Sheraton Phoenix Downtown seems to keep coming up with the unusual from small plates to their cocktails. This recipe from District was too good to pass up for Where and What in the World. One may be enough or if you get two, consider a room too! This would be a terrific drink for a holiday party. Enjoy!
Hog Nog HOLIDAY COCKTAIL RECIPE
*Available for $9 in District American Kitchen and Wine Bar during the Holiday Season.
- 2 ounces Schreiner’s bacon infused with Rogue hazelnut spice rum*
- 4 ounces house-made cinnamon eggnog**
- 5-inch piece of candied Schreiner’s bacon
Preparation: Add rum and eggnog into an Irish coffee mug and either steam to serve hot or leave chilled. Garnish with candied bacon and pinch of cinnamon.
Bacon-Infused Hazelnut Spice Rum*
- Cook off 11 pieces of thick cut bacon.
- Combine bacon and 1 liter rum into sealed glass container for 4 hours.
- Strain rum through cheese cloth three times and then once through a coffee filter to remove fat.
- 2 cup sugar
- 4 cups whole milk
- 12 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup dark rum
- 1 cup brandy
1) Pre-chill all ingredients for the best result.
2) Begin by combining sugar and milk over medium heat until it lightly simmers.
3) In a large bowl, beat the eggs together vigorously until very frothy.
4) Sprinkle nutmeg and vanilla into eggs while beating.
5) In another large bowl, beat the milk and cream vigorously until very frothy.
6) A little at a time, combine both mixing bowls together still beating.
7) Finally, beat in the rum and brandy.
Let set in fridge for 2 h
If you have a holiday cocktail or appetizer you would like to share, please send it via our submission page.
Board Member, Co-Chair Conference & Media Trip Committee, Past President
Member: Society of American Travel Writers (SATW)
Member: Society of Professional Journalists
Executive Editor, Luxe Beat Magazine (Launching Fall 2013)
Freelance Lifestyle Journalist
Follow me: @maralynhill
If you would like to submit a guest post on food, wine or travel to Where and What in the World, I would be happy to feature your travel experience , drink, special wine tasting, or family or simply delicious recipe. If you go to submission tab, you will see how to submit, as well as have the opportunity of telling me if you would like to would like to be a regular contributor. When uploading a file for submission, you are also able to upload jpgs. Please feel free to put a last paragraph about you and a link to your profile. No html please. You can also include a head shot.