By Patterson Riley
Salmon is one of the healthiest and nutritious foods on the planet! Besides being packed with high amounts of the beneficial Omega-3 fatty acids, salmon is also a powerhouse of numerous vitamins and minerals. A 4.0-ounce piece of wild-caught salmon is enough to provide you with most of the essential nutrients your body needs for various functions. I absolutely love salmon topped with some avocado salad as you will see in my recipe. It’s simply delicious and nutritious, and very easy to make.
But first, let’s talk about salmon and its Omega 3 fatty acids.
Salmon is reputed for its high amounts of beneficial Omega-3 fatty acids. Actually, it’s one of the richest sources of the beneficial fatty acids on the planet. As you’ve probably heard, these fatty acids play a crucial role in keeping your body healthy and in the prevention of various chronic conditions. Omega 3 is especially great for cardiovascular health and significantly boosts brain health, which is why it’s one of the most popular supplements. Omega-3;
- Improves your heart health by reducing systematic inflammation in the heart and reducing your risk of developing cardiovascular conditions such as atherosclerosis, hypertension, and stroke
- Improves your eye health and treats age-related macular degeneration and dry eye syndrome
- Keeps your skin healthy and prevents free-radical damage
- Boosts brain healthy by improving focus and memory especially in children
- Protects the nervous system and helps in neurological repair
- Prevents joint inflammation and osteoporosis by keeping bones and joints healthy
- Kills different types of cancer such as breast, liver, colorectal, skin cancer…etc
Salmon provides Omega-3 in the form of EPA and DHA. According to American Heart Association (AHA), salmon provides 1.1 to 1.9g total Omega-3 fatty acids. 100 grams of raw salmon provides you with 40% protein, 53% Vitamin B-12, 30% Vitamin B-6, 6% Vitamin C, and 6% magnesium. Plus the fish is quite low in saturated fats (3.1g) with significantly low levels of cholesterol. It’s an excellent substitute for beef, lamb, or pork.
Besides omega-3, salmon is packed with essential minerals such as calcium, iron, selenium, phosphorous, potassium, as well as magnesium. The fish is also rich in essential vitamins such as A, B, and D. Selenium is a crucial trace element that plays an important role in the metabolism of tissue, hair, and nails. Salmon is one of the richest sources of this trace element.
Its ability to improve bone health is because of its high calcium and Vitamin D content. Both calcium and Vitamin D play a crucial role in proper bone development and improving strength to prevent osteoporosis.
One study found that the calcium in salmon is absorbed more readily in the body compared to calcium from other sources. This indicates why you should regularly add salmon to your diet for strong, healthy bones. It’s a perfect food for the whole family.
Salmon Avocado Salad Recipe
When I first tried out this salmon avocado salad recipe, I had no idea it would turn out so incredibly great! I had to invite some friends just to share this amazing recipe that up to now, am still crazy about. Soft, deliciously creamy, and crunchy sweet and tangy, you will absolutely love this incredible recipe. Some fresh mixed fresh herbs and 2 teaspoons of mixed seeds such as sesame, pumpkin, poppy, and sunflower seeds will give the dish a great lightness and significantly add some vitamins and minerals. Because salmon is a great source of bone-friendly minerals such as calcium and a rich source of Vitamin D, this is the perfect bone healthy recipe.
Here is the incredible salmon avocado salad bone healthy recipe you’ve all along been waiting for. The next time you have some guests over, wow them with this recipe and showcase your cooking prowess.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 20mins
Cook Time: 15mins
Ready In: 35mins
- 6 (2) ounce fresh fillets salmon
- 1 avocado-peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 8 ounces leaves lettuce, cut into bit-sizes
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and equally divided
- 1 ounce Feta cheese, crumbled
- 12 grape tomatoes, halved
- 5 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- Line a baking sheet with an aluminum foil. Place the salmon on the foil and brush with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Broil for around 15 minutes or until salmon is easily flaked with a fork
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the remaining butter and sauté the mushrooms until tender
- In a small bowl, place the tomatoes and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper
- Toss the salmon, tomatoes, mushrooms, lettuce, avocado, cilantro, and jalapeno together in a large bowl. Drizzle the mixture with the remaining olive oil and the vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with Feta cheese to serve.
I am a huge salmon fan and can’t go a week without making some delicious smoked or grilled salmon recipe. And what makes me even happier is that everyone in the family absolutely loves it. It’s a great meal to keep everyone healthy while protecting against many health conditions. Furthermore, the fact that it’s high in Omega-3 fatty acids makes it an excellent choice for improving kids’ brain health. It’s definitely a recipe worth trying out!
- Only use fresh salmon- fresh salmon should glisten, not look dull and should not smell
- Only buy wild caught salmon- wild caught salmon is the most nutrient dense compared to farmed salmon. It has the highest amounts of Omega-3, essential minerals and vitamin and does not have harmful antibiotics and chemicals such as pesticides.
Bio: Hi, my name’s Patterson Riley. I am the owner of the fishing website; http://fishinglikeboss.com/ and am thrilled to offer useful tips and guidance on the best fishing tackle including fishing line, spincast reel, …. You will learn more about different models of fishing lines (both for salty and fresh water in our incredible and comprehensive reviews. Additionally, you will learn a few fishing tips on how to catch different types of fish. There is absolutely plenty of things to learn about fishing, whether you are just a beginner or a pro.
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/pattersonriley2
If you would like to submit a guest post on food, wine or travel to Where and What in the World, I would be happy to feature your travel experience , drink, special wine tasting, or family or simply delicious recipe. If you go to submission tab, you will see how to submit, as well as have the opportunity of telling me if you would like to would like to be a regular contributor. When uploading a file for submission, you are also able to upload jpgs. Please feel free to put a last paragraph about you and a link to your profile. No html please. You can also include a head shot.